Thursday, January 19, 2012

Weldbond PVA glue as a gap filler?

I've used and played with Weldbond PVA glue since I was a child.  It's a non-toxic adhesive with a host of uses, from arts and crafts to industrial applications.  While using some recently, I absent-mindedly rolled a small amount of glue that had oozed onto my fingers into a small, tacky ball.  Then it hit me - could Weldbond be used as a handy, cheap substitute for two-part epoxy putty or GW's Liquid Green Stuff for filling imperfections in plastic and resin?

Tonight, I decided to give it a try.  Here's the equipment and the test sample - an ordinary bottle of Weldbond and an Armorcast resin howitzer gun.


The underside of the gun barrel has three small holes that could use some filling.


I put a little blob of glue on my finger...


...and spread it around with my thumb, allowing it to dry a bit...


...until it congealed into a putty-like consistency.


Then, before it dried too much, I plucked off small amounts and pushed them firmly into the holes with my fingertips, smoothing out the surface nice and flush, just like with ordinary green stuff.  Et voila!


We shall see if the Weldbond plugs stay in place when they cure fully and after I sand the surface a bit smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment